Thursday, July 07, 2005

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

In my family, we have a lot of sayings. Most were invented by my dad. Others are variations on a theme. Sometimes we just altered a more well-known saying to fit our family unit. The title of this post is one of them.

When I was a child we made candies in December. My mom got the recipe from one of her adult-class students. We made them every year. Even though we are not Christians (actually I was raised without a denomination at all) we still celebrated a secular Christmas. So we'd make the candies and say they were for New Year's, Channukkah, or Christmas depending on the faith of those in our neighborhood, and that of our family friends. Once they were done we'd hand deliver the closest and then all climb into the car. On places where we were supposed to go fast, we all stayed in the car and my mom took them up the porch steps. The theory being that with my dad behind the wheel and the four of us kids still waiting in the car it would get her to go faster. It didn't. She'd talk. My mom can talk forever. She can get other people to talk just as long by simply asking the right questions. At times, we were all out of the car talking but we'd make it back and my mom wouldn't. It was agonizingly slow to watch her cut the connection to the person we were there to see. Just when it seemed like she was getting away (one step back) she'd feel inclined to move (yes, two steps) forward.

Lately my life feels like that. I manage to make headway for a second. I'm coming to decisions & willing to tackle my issues when suddenly I'm back to where I started; without even knowing how I got there. Don't get me wrong, I'm very decisive and action oriented in certain aspects of my life. It's my darn romantic heart where I become a vacillating nincompoop!

Cases in point.
1. I realize I'm suffering from an old malady that I picked up in high school (unrequited love.) He's going from friend to flirty toucher to downright coming on to me (it's hard to mistake a naked penis for disinterest!) Thereby confusing the heck out of me. Are we friends or not? So I become determined to say or do something (unlike my pimply past ) to find out where we stand. When, lo and behold, the person in question blurts out something that lets me know that I'm not even in the running. He'd rather chart other territories. So I get to go back to the vast wasteland of buddydom.
2. Just when I decide I need more than a casual intimacy with a lover, who is more absent than around, he starts showing up. He starts calling daily and texting weekly, and he even begins fixing things around my house. Yet again confusing me. Are we (sorry for the profanity) fuck friends or is he wanting more or is he not? Some issues still remain. Where I've invited him into my life, and yes, he took a tiny dip into that wading pool by meeting my family, I'm only a visitor to his~ through conversations. No meetings with his family, whatsoever. And yes, I become afraid to change the status quo because at least I know what I get when I am with him. However, has that stopped being enough?
3. And the last step back? Going back with friends to catch up with another friend and finding that some things never change. Physically the chemistry is still there. The longing when you look at each other. Worst of all, the connection of thinking is still there, too. That being on the same wave length as someone else that is more erotic (at times) than sex.
However, this old flame scorched me to such a crisp that it took a great deal to get over it. He's the second reason I'm so nervous to take steps when it comes to romantic relationships. We met five years ago. I was still in a state of shell shock from a divorce that had been final for three years at that point and he was in love with two (other) women at the same time. Yeah, that was ripe for disaster. We came out of our coupling and finally, made it to a point where we could be friends. Platonic, long distance ones. I don't know that I trust myself to not wallow in that misery again as some sort of self-flagellating punishment that for some archaic reason I believe I deserve. So you can imagine how thrilled I was to go down (and back) there last night with others. (Designated driving can sometimes take it's toll .)

Yet a part of me is hopeful. I truly believe that it will all eventually work out to some satisfying end with all three. Or maybe I just wish someone new would come along and whisk me away from actually having to make a decision about it all. A different type of riding off into the sunset, to be sure.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. You write quite beautifully. I am 39 as well, will be 40 in Nov. (ugh) But what you wrote about having the "F" friend ... I'd been there. There is an old saying "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" and it was coined for a reason. Did you know that you could most likely go anywhere at nearly anytime and meet someone to just have 'sex' with? (I mean you don't NEED him just for that) If you never put your foot down with this man, and make him tell you just exactly what his plans are with regard to you, then he never will. When he's feeling lonely, or perhaps doesn't have anyone else "in the running", he'll contact you more frequently - just to keep you "on the line". He knows how you feel, he's not stupid, but he's playing it. Until I finally put my foot down - on a FIVE year relationship and told him to either shit or get off the pot, ... he was content to just lead me on or keep me around for sex. And for so long, I kept telling myself "he'll grow to love me", "he'll change", "he'll see I'm the one", yadda yadda ..... only no, he never would. One day, I told him that's it ... no more sex. Shit or get off the pot. Much to my shock, he got off the pot. I was brokenhearted and it took ages for me to move on. But, if I didn't move on, I would have never met my husband and we've now been together 12 years - after dating only 8 weeks before he popped the question, and 6 months before we said I do. On the other hand, you can look at it as "timing is everything" and figure he's keeping you busy until you're good and ready to honestly move on and THEN you'll meet your "one" .... but, you must know that in the meantime, if you hope for him to feel differently, he won't, unless he's been told he'll lose you - and then it's put up or shut up. "Action, not words, define reality." (the best thing my counselor every taught me!) Good luck with this and keep happy.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

Cjristie - Being a fellow "two stepper" I appreciate how you put words to what we are feeling. I think after this past week I have concluded that sometimes all you need is sex but when it is not those times then you have to change your "behaviour" accordingly otherwise you are asking to get hurt. Is that from the brain cell or is it just me?

Anonymous - It is so nice to see a "stranger" who is willing and able to articulate what it is that we already know but are reluctant to accept. Your words are encouraging, don't ever stop sharing them :-) As for turning 40 C and I were just talking about it today and she has a different attitude about it. You should chat with her about it sometime :-)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Cjristina said...

Anonymous~Thank you for your comments. They definitely made me think...one of my favorite things to do. ;-) I think as far as my f-friend a part of me is afraid that if I put my foot down, he'll want to take the next step in a relationship and I am struggling with the fact that I don't know that I'm ready for that. Also, unlike so many other women I know, I AM NOT A CALLER! He always is irritated that I don't call, text, etc. Which says a lot in and of itself, doesn't it? I'm more worried about breaking up with him; in that I don't know how to do it. I've never had to break up with someone before. It's scary. However, I'll update the blog as soon as I know where I'm going with it all.
Shan~ Jeanine and I watched "Kinsey" last night. Surprise, surprise, sex is different because it can be studied and measured. My favorite quote was when Kinsey said, "When it comes to love, we're all in the dark."
Amen!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Cjristina said...

Eva~
Sorry, I didn't even see your comment until after I finished writing my last response. Thanks for the words of encouragement. IT is hard when the decision is made for you, even if you'd been thinking along those lines too. I haven't had too many relationships but I was pretty much always the dumpee instead of the dumper. Sometimes, I guess you just have to live on the other side.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well Cjristina, if you're afraid he'll want the relationship and you're not sure that's what YOU really want, then I guess you're ok with how things are at the moment. You'll know for sure for yourself when you reach a point of "I'm not taking this anymore", or "I'm not playing second fiddle anymore", or "I want something more than just sex" ..... when you've decided for yourself those sorts of things, you'll just tell him ... "I want and need to be number one in someone's life - if it's not yours, just say the word." Or you'll tell him, "you've had the milk for free long enough now." Or, you'll just tell him that it's been nice and you used to feel fine with how things are, but you've hit a point in your life where you want/need more from a relationship. He'll get the picture, he'll understand, and YOU'LL feel so invigorated and confident once you do it ... not sure why .... when I finally told my 'guy' at the time to shit or get off the pot - even though he chose to get off the pot, I felt strong, and confident - where I did not feel that way while in the relationship. I was always submissive and wanting to please him - and I put my own feelings, wants, desires on the backburner all the time for him, yet he NEVER did that for me. I deserve more. You deserve more. In fact, I've made three rules in my life that which I live by. They are: I will no longer accept excuses for behaviors toward me that I find unpleasant (I had a boyfriend that liked to be mean and then apologize, only to be mean again later) ~~ I will no longer "Play the Game" (break up, get back together, talk, not talk --- say what you mean, mean what you say) and ~~I will no longer put my own feelings and needs on the backburner in order to please someone else. I will seek compromise. You know, when I began sticking to these rules, I ended up meeting someone sincere, caring, etc. Don't get me wrong, we have ups and downs like every relationship, but we're in it TOGETHER and no one gets more than the other. It's nice to be #1 from time to time. Ya dig? Anyway Cjristina, you'll know when you're ready one way or another. You'll just know and you'll make your move. Until then ... enjoy yourself, don't over analyze, and take one day at a time. Smiles ... oh, and my name is Wendy.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

Oh man, Eva I totally feel ya there. We were just talking about this in my epiphanies the other day huh Cjristina?

7:10 PM  
Blogger Cjristina said...

Thank you for the insights, Wendy. I'll keep you all posted as soon as something new happens.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home