Saturday, August 19, 2006

Flat Tire Buoyant Life

So I'm sitting in the waiting room of Sears' auto shop. I'm waiting for the new tire to replace the flat that I inadvertantly gave myself earlier in the day. Which reminded me of Valentine's Day. In a way.....

Six months ago plus a day I was getting two (because when older always better to replace two, if not all four...I listened Dad...see?) new tires at Sears and it was going to take a long time. They were really backed up. Everyone and their brother was getting auto work done. So I walk across the parking lot to the local Barnes & Noble to get a coffee. Too tired, bedraggled to even shop for books so you KNOW I was down.

I sit at last available cafe table with my venti soy latte and hear the ring tone that indicates someone's leaving me a text. Look down and it's my favorite smart-ass Joe Smith.
Here is a Tony Yaghi version of that conversation:
JS>What are you doing?
Moi>Trying to get dry, warm up and not feel miserable. Kind of resigned. You?
JS>Watching kids movies with Liz and kids.
Moi>Oh that's right that's this weekend. I don't want to interrupt. Have fun.
JS>Why need to get dry?
Moi>Flat tire.
JS>Need help?
Moi>No, I changed it already. It's already at Sears they're putting on two new ones.
Moi again because don't have much space when texting>It's going to be a while. (see earlier part of blog...pretty much same info.) Drinking latte.
JS>Want company?
Moi>No, I'll be fine.
JS>You sure?
Moi>Actually I'd love some company but don't want to intrude.
JS>Need to get out of house.
Moi>Lol. You can't sit still that long. Must be torture.

So in the end Joe ended up coming over because I was told it would be hours and I was stranded. We drank our Starbucks drinks, he told me stories that made me laugh. I told him what Liz would want as a drink for him to take home.We made jokes about this one book that had great title but all the copies were so jammed into a revolving rack that you couldn't pull it out to buy. Eventually, got a call from Sears that it was still not ready and would take longer than expected. I was supposed to go see a play with Shanda (who was still on drive to Stockton.) So Joe took me home and dropped me off so I could clean up in time to jump in car with Shanda and go.

An everyday occurrence of a friend helping a friend. I was grateful. Went back to Barnes & Noble the next day when car was finally done and found unjammed copy and bought it for Joe as a thank you present. Thought that was the end of the story until yesterday when I had to get replacement tire.

I saw on computer screen that it was six months ago that bought last pair. But the most important part I noticed about the date was its proximity to Valentine's Day. February 17. Now if you've read this blog you know how I feel about VD. ;-) It's such a stupid, silly RETAIL holiday. When I had this epiphany. What Joe did for me was the best kind of present. One that any woman would appreciate. I was feeling as flat as my tire and he saw that and filled me up with good stories, companionship and a little caffeine. When someone anticipates your needs and fulfills them that is the ULTIMATE gift.

So I had this epiphany yesterday that if a guy wanted to give me tires (1 to 4...whatever) I would think that was the most awesome VD gift in the world. Because of the hassle and wait time, etc. Tires would be a sign of caring and the traditional VD presents: jewelry, champagne, roses, dinner is nothing compared to someone who wants to take care of you. Like those Michelin ads say...think about what's riding on your tires.

So I kept looking outside to the hall for Shanda because she's visiting this weekend just like last time and had my second and more grateful epiphany. I thanked God for the air in my tires. The air that is my family and fabulous friends like Joe, Liz, Shanda, Christyn and Shawn. The air that is new acquaintances like Paul and Brett. And I felt as jaunty as my newly balanced and nicely aligned car.

AND YEAH >It didn't hurt that I'd bought the road hazard protection plan and my new tire didn't cost me a thing!

Hence the title of this post: Flat Tire Buoyant Life

Yet another reminder that this is my favorite year of life!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

That was an awesome blog. I know I don't need to tell you that you reap what you sow. I can not tell you how many times you have inflated my lifeless soul. I am sure I don't appreciate you enough and I hate that I'm not as good of a friend as I should be but you still end up being there for me anyway, which is true friendship...of which I am eternally grateful for.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love this story!

Thanks for your kind words on my blog recently. You always bring a warm smile to my face. Thank you.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home