Friday, July 29, 2005

Top Unrequited Love Songs

I was in love for the first time with Ross Moreno. It was an unrequited love way back in my high school days. He didn't know I existed. Then when he noticed me it was just to ask for an introduction to my friend, Tanis. The following year it was to hear as his (gag) friend all about Ria Bustamante. I got to hear the details about how much he cared for her before, during and after their time together. Ross was the first but not the last of my lamentable crushes. I do have a knack for finding a wonderful guy who just wants to be friends. SIGH. So in honor of Ross and all those others who didn't love me (well, at least not the way I wanted them to love me) I dedicate the following songs. {The songs were not necessarily written by the artists. I just prefer these versions. You'll have to look up the songwriters for yourself.}

Honorary Mentions to Sk8ter Boi by Avril Lavigne and You Went and Saved the Best for Last by Whitney Houston because of their happy endings.
#10. Cold, Cold Heart by Norah Jones
#9. I Can Love You Better by The Dixie Chicks
#8. What Am I to You by Norah Jones
#7. Crazy for This Girl by Evan and Jaron
#6. Take a Chance on Me by ABBA
#5. How Do You Like Me Now by Toby Keith
#4. There's Your Trouble by The Dixie Chicks
#3. He's Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon
#2. Insensitive by Jann Arden
#1. I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

My goodness!!! PERFECT selection! I think we've all been there ... being 'in love' with someone who didn't know we existed. Funny thing happened to me in High School ... I had SUCH a crush on Steve Westlund. Blond hair, blue eyes, simply adorable. Since he never noticed me, a friend of mine told him I "liked " him. His reply to my friend was "oh gawd ... she's SO FLAT!!" I was crushed. I am thin. Always have been, and therefore, the boobs barely exist. Some years after high school, I was out dancing at a club with friends. Who came in but Steve Westlund. He didn't look as cute as he did in high school. Time hadn't treated him well. I pretty much looked the same ... well, one thing is for sure, my boobs wever grew much bigger! I'm a perfect 34A. So, I'm out there dancing, and you know what ... I looked HOT! Lots of guys asked me to dance, or asked me out. Steve stood at the bar and watched me. I saw him watching me. When the song was over, I went to the bar to get a drink and he sidles up to me and tells me how nice I look, and how well I danced. Then he said to me "So Wendy ... when are we gonna get together and go out sometime?" I was silent for a minute. Then with my biggest, nicest smile, I said "Steve dear, you're just not my type." and all his pals cracked up laughing at him as I walked away. It felt good. Real good. As for the boobs, gravity won't get me!!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

I love it Christie! You know I feel your pain :-)

Wendy - As much as I try not to want it that type of revenge is just SO sweet.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Cjristina said...

You two crack me up! Yeah that kind of revenge is sweet. Not that I ever have been given the chance at it...ah well. Ross ended up divorcing his first wife (who apparently was some sort of bitch on wheels according to his sister) and then meeting the new love of his life at a mutual friend's house. He remarried and moved back to my hometown---and here's the kicker!!--He called my mom to be his real estate agent. Another guy I had a crush on after high school (but had known from first grade on) also used my mom as a real estate agent. She LOVED their wives...and babies. Hey, at least I got referral fees out of it....which come to think of it I probably gave to my ex-husband who was always broke....gee, some people never learn.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

:-) Come on, you've had a chance at that kind of revenge it was just WAY after you were over it so you didn't feel the need :-)

1:18 AM  
Blogger DS Irvin said...

"Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen might also be a song about unrequited love. Might, being the key word.
In terms of real unrequited love songs, this is the perfect list.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Cjristina said...

Illimitable Voices~ Thanks! Being a teacher, I don't consider us all that hot.... But I do love the song. Of course maybe I should do a bunch of teacher songs. "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by the Police, "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen, any others anyone can think of?

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home