Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Work Rant

I went to work yesterday. I had to move every piece of furniture. None of it was where it would work. That's what happens when they mop and put a special wax on the tiles during summer. Everything gets whacked. Oh and the furniture consisted of a couch, a teacher's desk, two rolling carts that are filled with 6 cases of paper and a television set in one and 30 alphasmarts in the other, a white board, 19 double (seats two kids) desks, 34 chairs, and 2 tables. My neck is still sore from tackling the (completely full) filing cabinet. I don't get paid for going in and setting up my classroom, for moving the furniture so that children can actually learn, for making it look welcome with decorations, for putting all the materials out, for finding and rearranging the stuff that was stored before the summer. If I did get paid it would have to be hourly and my district couldn't afford it. In reality, every district in every state would go bankrupt from the extra time teachers put in without reimbursement if they were actually forced to compensate us for all the time we put in. Don't even get me started on correcting or planning!

The worst part about being in my room this week is that we finally have nice (meaning it's not 100+ degrees) weather and the HEATER is turned on in my room. There's some new control box on it. Actually that's a misnomer. It's really a non-control box because I have no way to alter the settings and the whole thing is locked, apparently pre-programmed and run remotely through a separate site!!!! I think our first set of experiments in science will be on how hot our room can get before they do something about it. Wouldn't that look good in the local newspaper? Evil laugh.

Wow! I just realized that I've been venting (some might say ranting but I'm trying to be positive) a lot lately. I've been surrounded lately by a great deal of negativity...I guess it's rubbing off. I'm sorry if any of this made anyone uncomfortable....at least I don't feel it anymore. Which is the whole purpose of a blog now isn't it?

More later. Take care!

3 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

It DOES feel good to vent in a blog, doesn't it? As for negativity, I do believe it is contagious, so we need to make sure we 'wash' frequently to avoid catching the negativity bug ... it just creeps up on us! By the way, how do you keep sane in a roomful of 6th graders?

7:03 AM  
Blogger Cjristina said...

I don't think you're allowed to be sane when they hire you to teach the mid level grades. Fifth through eighth are my favorite grades, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment?!?!? The truth is if they're going through puberty I say, "Bring it on!" They're actually a fascinating age group. They think they're so grown up and yet they're still kids. However, you can have these in depth conversations with them and they view the world in ways that neither young children nor teens nor adults do. It's a shame that more people can't see the beauty in that. Wow! Sounds like I am ready to go back to work. Thanks for the positive vibe Wendy, it helped!!!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

You know, there must be something special about a 6th grade teacher because, of course, over the years, I had alot of teachers, but only a very few are remembered by me. Ms. Parente was my 6th grade teacher and she was just awesome. I loved her! Perhaps she saw in us, as 6th graders, what you see in your kids ... therefore, your kids will 'feel' that too and remember you 22+ years later!! How cool!!!! :)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home