Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Perfectly Balanced


This is a painting by Alfred Gockel titled "Perfectly Balanced." Looking back on today, I was more balanced than I realized. Being balanced is something that I eternally strive for. Comes from living with two Libras for the first twenty years of my life.

My mother generously donated our local newspaper to my language arts class. I get one copy for each child for every weekday. It's wonderful! The kids love it and for a while there some adults were taking (read stealing unintentionally) our papers. They didn't realize until I put up a sign that they were for kids. My kids got very upset when they weren't receiving their copies. They have become so used to looking for different items and sharing with each other. I (evil glint) have to say things like, "It's silent reading time. I know you're excited but let's be quiet." The truth is that I'm thrilled that they love it. However, with this age group if I give it too much approval they'll stop doing it.

Anyway, today one of my students wanted to know my "sign" and I told her that I'm a Capricorn. She excitedly brings me the paper to read my horoscope and points it out....in case I couldn't see it. I started laughing uproariously. I never made it past the second sentence. I will have to check the paper tomorrow. Here's what I read:

Capricorn
Stress is the enemy! Relax!
Once I stopped laughing; all the other students wanted to read my horoscope. They didn't get it but obviously the first one did. I told her, "I know that's the problem. I'm trying. I'm really trying to relax. Thanks ___________." (I'm not using her name because this is a public forum and I adhere to the strict confidentiality agreement set up by my district and state.) So thanks to that student, and that incomplete horoscope, I went through the day trying to feel lighter. As I sit here typing, I realize that I became what I sought to be. A lesson that I know I will have to learn again and again but which feels really tremendous, at this precise moment, as if I accomplished something fantastic.
Which I did~ a better me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

What a great post Cjristina! I'm happy everything is going so well in CA. Sounds like you have quite a good group of kids there too!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

That is fantastic! I think I'll go read my horoscope now :-)

wordverification=tsbff

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home