Thursday, August 25, 2005

There's a Fine, Fine Line

These are the lyrics to one of my (most recent) favorite songs of all time! It's titled There's a Fine, Fine Line. The song is by Jeff Marx and Robert Lopez. It is from their musical Avenue Q. Stephanie D'Abruzzo sang the song for the original Broadway cast. On Saturday 8/27 the cast opens previews in an *exclusive (*can't tour the rest of the country) Las Vegas theater. I would love to go see it!!!!! (Of course, not this weekend since my own show is closing.) I am so in love with the CD that Jaye let me borrow that I can't wait to get my own. Yes, I'm willing to BUY it. No ripping and burning for this one.

Anyway, the lyrics of this particular song made me think about relationships. There are certain parallels in my own life. Well, there would have to be wouldn't there? Otherwise why would I find it so meaningful? Nevertheless, it also fit in with how I've been viewing others' relationships. The fragility and complexity of love is astounding.

There's a fine, fine line
Between a lover and a friend.
There's a fine, fine line
Between reality and pretend;
And you never know 'til you reach the top
If it was worth the uphill climb.
There's a fine, fine line
Between love and a waste of time.

There's a fine, fine line
Between a fairy tale and a lie.
And there's a fine, fine line
Between "You're wonderful!" and "Goodbye."
I guess if someone doesn't love you back
It isn't such a crime.
But there's a fine, fine line
Between love and a waste of your time.

And I don't have the time to waste on you anymore!
I don't think that you even know what you're looking for!
For my own sanity I've got to close the door and walk away.
Oh~

There's a fine, fine line
between together and not.
And there's a fine, fine line between
What you wanted and what you got.

You've got to go after the things you want while you're still in your prime!
There's a fine, fine line
Between love and a waste of time.

One last thought: Treat your own heart as gently as you should treat others' hearts.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

Wow Christie, I understand the appeal of this song to you and I haven't even ever heard the melody. I would have to agree with your take on it, it certainly does fit for a lot of people lately huh? Sorry if the brain cell transferred some of these emotions to you....thanks for taking one for the team :-)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

What wonderful lyrics. I'll have to see if I can find that song on-line to hear it. Such true and realistic words. I'm so glad you wrote. I've been missing your posts!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger MezzoDragon said...

The only question is how do you know when you've reached the top?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

When I saw this show in NY March 2004 I totally felt that song - having broken up with my boyfriend of 5.5 years only a few months earlier "It's a Fine, Fine Line" was MY song. I love the line "You never know til you reach the top if it was worth the uphill climb" - so true! Glad you love this show too, it is wonderful! by the way, "I wish I could go back to College" :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

oh - and the next line "there's a fine, fine line between love and a waste of you time."

and "I don't have the time to waste on you anymore. I don't think that you even know what you're looking for!"

and...okay forget it, I love the whole freaking song!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

LOL I'm with Annie.....

5:38 PM  
Blogger DS Irvin said...

i really need to see avenue q

9:09 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog... not many blogs out there ever talk about theatre. I moved to LA from the east, and have been having a blast seeing theatre here.

You really should go see Ave Q in Vegas before John Tartaglia and Rick Lyons leave the cast (I think they leave in DEC). I saw it twice on Bway, and it truly deserved The Tony.
Again, great blog.
Best Regards,
~S

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home